an open letter to the man getting a sex change.

by charlotte guest

Hi.
My name is Charlotte. You may know me from such things as The Little Athletics Newsletter: April, 2006 and That Place You Buy God-awful Coffee From.

I've heard many things about you, but mostly I've heard that you're becoming a woman.

Please forgive the whispers. We're a small place, and this is the most exciting thing to happen since the shop got painted a controversial tangerine.

I'm sure your ears alight with our burning questions, but what I really want to know is if you have an easily convertible name, like Christopher to Christina, or Harry to Harriet. I sincerely hope your name isn't Douglas.

My boyfriend is perplexed. “What do they do with it?” he asked, panicking, “Do they just sling it into the bin?” Mum told him it will get burnt, along with all the other faulty body-bits, and he just about fainted.

(Mum also wanted me to recommend Airflex and Clarks, who do wide-fit shoes.)

Frankly, I admire you. I admire your bravery. It's a frightening thing, but sometimes you just can't love the skin you're in, because it feels like someone else's skin. Or at least, that's how I imagine it.

What I wanted to wish you, on behalf of everyone, is good luck. Good luck, mademoiselle, you're going to go from stud to stunner, I just know it (take a look at Coccinelle and April Ashley).

Lots of love,
Charlotte and the world.



related posts.

ramsay street under house arrest by charlotte guest

the boab tree by charlotte guest