the naked bunch.

by charlotte guest.

I saw a bunch of ladies today and accidentally imagined them naked.

This is because I've seen the movie Calendar Girls, where old women strategically place watering cans and home-knitted beanies in front of the naughty areas, take pictures, and make a surprisingly successful calendar. And that looked like something these women would do.



They were dandies, top to toe in red and purple, plastered with sequins and feathers and pipe-cleaners like a big “up yours” to the fashion world. They looked like Willy Wonker's concubines, plus fifty years. These are the Red Hat Ladies.

If you're a stranger to this subculture, then let me have the pleasure of introducing you.

The Red Hat Ladies are a “sisterhood”. They're a social group for women over fifty five who say words like “bling” and “brolly” and “hoo-har”. They can be equated to a flock of tropical birds, or those toucan lolly-pops that double as an excessively annoying recorder.

But wait, The Red Hat Ladies are not excessively annoying, not at all. I'm only envious of their camaraderie, their hats. I want to wear red tights and not get redirected into the staff entrance of the local brothel. I want to look like a gal that'll show you a good time, right up until six o'clock supper.

Alas, my friends, it's not time yet. Give it forty years, or until there's so many folds and creases that I look like a piece of origami. And then I'll get my kit off, hold up a cup, a saucer and rest a tea-pot in my lap, and send you a calendar for Christmas.

related posts

myrtle by charlotte guest. 

sneakers vs sex tapes by claudia lewin.