decipher me.

by charlotte guest

Most people's resumes make them sound unbearably boring.

Everyone's “interests” look super uninteresting. You just can't slap down your personality like you want to; you just can't write “you should hire me because I collect thimbles”. I once went to a “resume writing workshop” which told you exactly which interests employers are interested in, held by a woman who looked like she'd be interested in ants.

My resume boasts three interests.


Music.

What I actually meant was that I like finding parts of songs that sound like they've been ripped from other songs and contemplating whether the previous musician would have grounds to sue. At what point does it stop being la-di-da-postmodern and become stealing? Food for thought.

Reading.

Yes, I like to read. Everything from billboards to parking fines to actual reading material. But what I really like is finding typos in professionally edited works, it makes me feel educated. I'm also fond of the verbal equivalents, such as spoonerisms, like the time my dad said he just needed to pop into “Wank Best” instead of “Bank West”. Gosh, I do love a good spoonerisms.

Sport.

This is a blatant lie. I hate sport. I find it unpleasant to both watch and do. My heart must be as strong as a deflated balloon; my muscles are like custard. But hey, employers like well-rounded individuals.

I could never express how interesting I (arrogantly) think I am, so I decided to go for a visual approach. I attached a photograph to my CV. I dressed as outlandishly as my wardrobe would allow, lathered on the lipstick, placed my beret at an angle and communicated with my cheeky half-smile “I'm an intelligent, witty and kind hearted gal”.

That, or “I'm a tosser”.



related posts:

ramsay street under house arrest by charlotte guest

optimists anonymous  by kimberley veart