ramsay street under house arrest.

by charlotte guest
Something must be done.
Call me Constable Care, but something must be done to turn this shambles into a case of “citizens' watch”, instead of “watch for citizens”.
You see, I live in a cul-de-sac. There are a number of driveways that connect to the same bitumen circle like a multi-handle frying pan. The circle is so small that sometimes, when we put the bins out, they touch.


Besides the pop-up appearances of the bins, and the choir of dogs, I would say my street is empty. It is just me and the hounds. 
According to early evening tele-dramas, I should be intimately involved in my neighbours lives; I should know their birthdays and bring them jelly when they're sick. We should all sit at the local cafe and gossip about the newcomers; “Have you seen the furniture they're having put in? I was watching the other day as I put my bin next to your bin.”
Truth is - I don't even know what they look like.
This came to my attention after Dad put the bins out. He came inside and said “Bill's dead”. I said, "Who's Bill?" Bill was on our left, for ten years. Mum was the most upset because she'd borrowed a whisk from Bill about two years ago. 

Then I thought, if I took my puppies walking, and we ran into a neighbour who was also puppy-walking, the dogs would recognise each other and we wouldn't. “So sorry,” we would say, wrenching our respective dogs from the other's respective butt.

want to know them; I want to get to that point in a neighbourly relationship where we bring each other basic food stuffs when the other runs out. But I know I'm too impatient for that. I know I'll start delivering barrels of wholemeal flour if they so much as look at me.

So, I want to say something to my phantom neighbours. I want to begin with “Hey guys”, and “I'm the one with the poodle.” I want to suggest a get-to-know-ya street party with baked goods and bubbly. I want the dogs to introduce us (“Master, this is number 35. Number 35, Master.”).

Now, I want to say something to Bill's widow, just between us.

I'm sorry I don't know your name and that I never knew Bill. I'm also sorry that mum never returned that whisk. If you receive the whisk, a packet of wholemeal flour, some eggs and other essentials, they're from me, number 40.




related posts.

that plant is plastic by charlotte guest

excuse me, is this gym tonic? by charlotte guest