sculptures & soundwaves.

by kimberley veart

“Certain paintings make me imagine what they sound like as music. Often they suggest music that doesn’t exist yet – and invite you to make it.”  - Brian Eno

There is something thrilling about that unexpected collision between mediums. This is never more apparent to me than in art galleries where one of my favourite things to do is switch my mp3 player to shuffle and wander around (by that I mean methodically make my way through each piece in the gallery, I am not French, I am not a flaneur).
Sparks begin to fly as a country song jars with a German expressionist canvas and jazz splashes its colours on a Pissarro. Classic white marble statues take on fresh meaning and relevance as I admire their contours to the sounds of an acoustic guitar. 

It throws the windows open in the mind and lets the breeze waft around to mix up the papers on the mental desk.  The gaps between the audio and the visual creatively engage your mind to fill them – basically becoming a gym for your imagination (a far more pleasant gym than the physical kind, I promise). 

This interactive relationship between different mediums can become a necessary remedy for those seemingly incurable cases of writer’s block. For me this is a life saviour as much of my time seems to be spent in front of a computer screen head in hands, despairing over my inability to compose a sentence.

So I challenge you my friends to go forth and explore; seek out your local gallery, set up your tunes and be open to the unexpected.

clementine wants to hear of your adventures, so drop a line to clementinetheblog@gmail.com
 
 


related posts.

hanging by a moment by kimberley veart

what to do with an arts degree by kimberley veart