(re)calling history.

by kimberley veart

Today I was reminded of just how much I forget.
Saved into the temporary annals of my phone are notes that I've written to myself, important at one point, and now blinking on the screen.
One note begins without introduction:
“Paule vezelay construction: grey lines on pink background.”
After some mental sifting I remembered this was about an artwork I liked. I should really assume that my later self has been hit by a piano when I write these notes.
Another says only “We”. For the sake of my sanity I am going to argue that this is me jotting down the Madonna directed film about Wallis Simpson, but I doubt it. Perhaps I was distracted. This is my second ‘I’m not crazy’ plea: I may have just seen a squirrel and forgotten what I was doing.
Then there are directions on how to get to my friend’s apartment:
“88…big room across from living room.”
A street name may have been more useful.
One title stands out as a seemingly depressed vision of the future; however “My Life Without Me” is actually a film that apparently my past self is recommending to my future self. Doesn’t my past self know I don’t actually check these messages?
One reminder I cannot even recall writing:

“aspiring fires and born in a flash; baby don’t dance.”
I can’t even begin to explain myself here, however I will be Google-searching these intriguing words. I'm hoping that they are the lyrics to a Dirty Dancing rap song tribute.
Perhaps worst of all is the rather abstract note I made for myself today “Conv. Recommend losing.” Is it a bad sign that I have no recollection about what any of these reminders are about?
I’m wondering if this is better or worse than leaving messages to yourself on voicemail.                                                 




related posts.

myrtle by charlotte guest

optimists anonymous by kimberley veart